Smartphone cameras are constantly improving, but mics remain functional but of poor quality. When filming a video with your phone, it's ideal to have good audio to go along with the great image, which is where mini microphone for android comes into play. But how to use it to the get the best audio quality. Below we talk about two commonly used types and offer using tips separately. Read on to make your androd phone video sound better.
How to use lavalier tiny microphone for android?
Lavalier microphones are also known as lav, lapel mic, clip mic. They are an excellent technique to get close to the target sound while also reducing ambient noise!
They are a mini wired microphone that is fastened onto clothes, usually on the speaker's chest or neckline. The cable may be hidden under clothing, and because they are so little, they are scarcely visible! They are typically equipped with foam microphone covers and/or a furry cover for high wind scenarios to increase the sound recorded. In addition, it can also be a small wireless microphone for android as manufacturers have introduced the wireless lavalier version to the market.
There are several methods for getting the optimum sound when using this mini microphone for recording:
- Use wind guard: Using a wind guard will assist to decrease wind distortions. Consider wearing a furry windshield if it is really windy. It will alter the sound slightly, but it is preferable than the rumbling generated by the wind!
- Avoid rubbing fabric against the microphone: The most common problem while utilizing a lavalier microphone is the sound of clothes fabric rubbing against it. Install at a location where there isn't a lot of cloth moving about!
- Position on the chest: In general, positioning the mic on the sternum provides a good blend of intimate proximity and natural sound reproduction.
- Turn the mic upside down: When positioning the lavalier on the chest, place it inside the mic clip upside down. This reduces plosives (the wind created while pronouncing loud T, P, and B sounds), which can cause distortion and clipping (when the audio levels reach their maximum).
How to use mini condenser microphone for android with shotgun design?
This kind of mini microphone for phone is long and narrow in design, allowing it to catch sound from just one direction. It's not as simple as the tube merely preventing undesirable noises from approaching the microphone. It uses a conventional directional long tube with a hollow, slotted surface, which is called interference tube.
The theory behind the interference tube is that the desired on-axis sound travels directly down the length of the tube to the capsule diaphragm, but the undesirable off-axis sound must enter the side slots to reach the diaphragm. Because this undesirable sound will enter various slots and the distances between those slots and the diaphragm vary, the off-axis sound will arrive at the diaphragm at different times and cancel out.
For using on android phone, the tube isn't very long, but it accomplishes the same task.
There are several methods for getting the best audio from this mini microphone for android:
- Point it towards yourself: The microphone should be aimed at the target sound.
- Place it close but out of your mouth's way: It is advised to be no more than 10"/20cm and no closer than 3"/75mm.
- If possible, mount it from above or below: It optimal to remove it from the camera and point it at your chest from above or below.
- Record in a space with a lot of soft furniture: This helps you to reduce echo. Carpet and curtains are essential. Never record audio in a bathroom or kitchen since there many hard surfaces that can create more echo and makes the audio sound terrible.
- Keep an eye on the VU (Voulme Unit) meters: Keep in mind that they should be peaking around 0dB. That is, they should be over 0dB when you utter the loudest section of the statement, but below 0dB otherwise.
Other FAQs when using it for android recording
Q: I tried to use a mini microphone for android, but it didn't work. What can I do?
A: If your external mini microphone does not function with an Android device, you will most likely beed a specific adaptor. Find an adapter in the local store, test it, and see whether it solves the problem.
Q: Will I need an adapter to connect an external microphone to my smartphone?
A: It varies on the type of microphone, but most of the time, a TRS to TRRS converter is required to make this or that microphone work with an Android smartphone. Sometimes you don't even need an adaptor.
Q: I'd want to make a video but my mini microphone for android phone isn't working. How can I make it work?
A: Some devices are unable to record video using external microphones. This is simply the truth. However, if your device supports this capability, the issue might be somewhere else. To begin, consider downloading a third-party video app from Google Play and using the mic with it. If this doesn't work, see if your microphone works on other devices. Always keep in mind that you could contact the support team at any time.