You require a top-notch microphone if you are serious about shooting videos. The internal mics of cameras are usually, at best, subpar. You must invest in a wireless lavalier microphone for camera if you want to get great audio quality. It captures clean and clear audio and meanwhile frees your hands. In this article, we will talk about the following aspects to help you learn more about it.
- What are the reasons to using wireless microphone for camera recording?
- How to choose the best one for your camera?
- How to use it to capture high-quality sounds?
Why use wireless lavalier microphone for video camera?
The main reasons are as follow:
- Unobtrusive and hands-Free: A lavalier mic is one of the most popular choices among live streamers since it is both inconspicuous and hands-free.
- Quality: A lavalier mic's superiority over other types of mic is also attributed to its extreme versatility. It can now also create broadcast-quality sound thanks to the development of considerably more advanced designs.
- Convenience and comfort: You can create proximity with a lav mic without using boom stands. These accessories are quite large to transport if you have camera recording outside. The lavalier microphone is a terrific function in this situation in that it moves with the speaker without requiring them to carry ENG mics during exterior recording.
- Size: Wireless lavalier microphone for camera is small and compact, making it ideal for situations when the video creator wants to be less aware of the mic's existence. To improve the sound quality, they may simply clip the microphone to their clothes. There is no need to sit at a fixed place to talk into a tabletop mic, which guarantees the flexibility.
Buyer’s guide: Factors to consider for best wireless lavalier microphone for camera
Before you make the purchase, you should know the following factors that you need to consider:
Fabric noise and wind are generally the biggest enemies when working with lavaliers. As a result, you should learn how to reduce mic movements. Isolation mounting and smart mounting are two of these strategies. Remember that silky clothing tends to make more noise than other textiles, such as cotton.
They are typically connected using one of three techniques. These three options involve using a clip, a strap, or an adhesive. However, the attachment of your wireless lavalier mic should be determined by the type of production that you are involved in. It should also consider wardrobe constraints, allowable visibility, and suitable mounting places.
Mobility and location
If you are planning to perform a traditional talk show where the movement of the guests and hosts is predictable, lavalier mics that can be simply fastened to straps and collars are an excellent choice.
In a low-visibility, high-mobility event, microphones must be carefully secured and mounted discretely. In this instance, you may also utilize a lav strap to entirely conceal the mic behind the user's clothes.
Transmission ranges vary amongst wireless lavalier microphone system for DSLR cameras, ranging from a few feet to hundreds of feet. A decent rule of thumb is to consider how far you will normally be from the subject and then double that to be safe. The price of a system is frequently reflected in its range, so don't spend hundreds of dollars on anything with more transmission capabilities than you require.
How to use it to get better audio quality?
This involves two steps, connecting the wireless lavalier microphone for camera correctly and placing it properly.
Tips to connect wireless lavalier mic to camera
A wireless lavalier mic with a TRS jack is required if you are recording into a mirrorless, DLSR, or compact camera. if not, then you need an adapter to help you achieve the connection.
The good news is that now there is wireless microphone for digital camera featuring different cables to work with various recording devices. The SYNCO G1 Pro is a good example. It comes in one-trigger-one and one-trigger-two versions, consisting of 1 or 2 clip-on transmitters, a receiver, and a charging/storage case. It offers TRS, TRRS, and Type-C cables in the package. Power on the whole system, pair the transmitter with the receiver and clip it on your clothes, use the TRS cable to connect the receiver to your camera, then you can start the recording.
Tips to place lavalier microphone for video camera
The following is the ideal technique to position a lavalier microphone:
- Place the subject in the camera frame where you want him to be.
- Place the microphone six to eight inches away from the subject's mouth. Usually, a place on the person's chest works best.
- Attach the microphone clip to a piece of clothing. Make sure the mic has a clear route to the subject's lips - after all, that's where the sound is coming from.
- To test the audio level, have the subject talk normally while you are wearing headphones. Check the volume and make sure you don't hear any undesirable sounds, such as the subject breathing or clothing rustling.
- If required, reposition the wireless lavalier microphone for camera.